Auxiliary
85th Anniversary - ArchivesApril 2019

From the archives: The Auxiliary is created in 1936

When the JGH opened in 1934, it had two crucial, ongoing needs: a steady source of funding to purchase medical equipment and supplies, and a pool of dedicated volunteers. Both were delivered by the JGH Auxiliary.

READ MORE →
Chanukah celebration for children in the hospital in the 1950s.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesApril 2019

From the archives: A time to celebrate

Many Jewish festivals are observed in the hospital over the course of the year, including Rosh Hashanah (New Year), Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), Chanukah and Passover.

READ MORE →
On August 3, 1931, Canada’s Governor General, Lord Bessborough (centre, with shovel), turned the first sod to start construction of the JGH. Joining him at the ceremony were (from left) Hirsch Wolofsky (with cane), Editor of the Jewish Daily Eagle; A.M. Vineberg, Chairman of the Building Program; Michael Hirsch, Co-Chairman of the 1929 Building Campaign; Joseph Levinson Sr., Treasurer; Rabbi Herman Abramowitz of Congregation Shaar Hashomayim; and Allan Bronfman, Co-Chairman of the 1929 Building Campaign.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesApril 2019

From the archives: Ground is broken to start construction of the JGH

One of the most stirring milestones in the history of the JGH was the day when ground was finally broken, on August 3, 1931, to start construction of the hospital.

READ MORE →
Cafeteria staff in 1992.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesMarch 2019

From the archives: Mealtime memories of the old cafeteria

Not does the JGH kitchen prepare thousands of meals a day for patients, it used to supply the cafeteria which sold its last item on November 18, 2016.

READ MORE →
85th Anniversary - ArchivesMarch 2019

From the archives: Tobacco sales banned on JGH premises

In early 1969, Dr. Richard Margolese wrote an impassioned letter that played a pivotal role in a decision by the hospital’s Board of Directors to ban the sale of cigarettes on its premises.

READ MORE →
Present at the ceremony to finalize the purchase of property from Les Soeurs de Sainte-Croix were (from left) Sister Annette Legault, JGH Executive Director Henri Elbaz, Sister Thérèse Lefrançois and JGH President Stanley K. Plotnick.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesMarch 2019

From the archives: JGH acquires property of Les Soeurs de Sainte-Croix

The expansion that the JGH has undergone during the first two decades of the 21st century would not have been possible without a pivotal event that took place on February 1, 2005: the purchase of land and buildings from Les Soeurs de St. Croix.

READ MORE →
Dr. Mark Wainberg attends the launch of the HIV/AIDS Bio-containment Laboratory in 2007.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesMarch 2019

From the archives: Dr. Mark Wainberg, HIV/AIDS pioneer, opens ultra-secure JGH lab

Testing and research into HIV/AIDS took a major step forward in June 2007 with the inauguration of a $5 million HIV/AIDS Bio-containment Laboratory whose development was spearheaded by research pioneer Dr. Mark Wainberg.

READ MORE →
85th Anniversary - ArchivesMarch 2019

From our archives: “Hello, I’d like to place a call to a world that no longer exists”

During the 20th century, when digital telecommunication was still undreamt-of, the JGH relied on platoons of patient, quick-thinking switchboard operators to ensure that thousands of daily phone calls were properly routed.

READ MORE →
Celine Dion with her twins, Nelson and Eddy, born October 23, 2010.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesFebruary 2019

From our archives: Celine Dion reaches out to the JGH

In 2010, when Celine Dion urgently needed advice on breastfeeding her twin boys at her family home in Florida, she reached across the continent and found the expertise she needed at the JGH.

READ MORE →
By the end of 1931, construction of the JGH was well under way. When opened in 1934, the structure that is pictured here comprised the entirety of the hospital. Today it is simply known as Pavilion B, one of the JGH’s many pavilions.
85th Anniversary - ArchivesFebruary 2019

From the archives: Refurbishing, renovating, building up, building out

In every era and every decade, practically every corner of the JGH has been a construction zone.

READ MORE →