When the JGH opened in 1934, it had two crucial, ongoing needs: a steady source of funding to purchase medical equipment and supplies, and a pool of dedicated volunteers. Both were delivered by the JGH Auxiliary.
One of the most stirring milestones in the history of the JGH was the day when ground was finally broken, on August 3, 1931, to start construction of the hospital.
Not does the JGH kitchen prepare thousands of meals a day for patients, it used to supply the cafeteria which sold its last item on November 18, 2016.
In early 1969, Dr. Richard Margolese wrote an impassioned letter that played a pivotal role in a decision by the hospital’s Board of Directors to ban the sale of cigarettes on its premises.
The expansion that the JGH has undergone during the first two decades of the 21st century would not have been possible without a pivotal event that took place on February 1, 2005: the purchase of land and buildings from Les Soeurs de St. Croix.
Testing and research into HIV/AIDS took a major step forward in June 2007 with the inauguration of a $5 million HIV/AIDS Bio-containment Laboratory whose development was spearheaded by research pioneer Dr. Mark Wainberg.
During the 20th century, when digital telecommunication was still undreamt-of, the JGH relied on platoons of patient, quick-thinking switchboard operators to ensure that thousands of daily phone calls were properly routed.
In 2010, when Celine Dion urgently needed advice on breastfeeding her twin boys at her family home in Florida, she reached across the continent and found the expertise she needed at the JGH.
In every era and every decade, practically every corner of the JGH has been a construction zone.