From the archives: A witness to history recalls the realization of a dream
JGH News marked the hospital’s 75th anniversary by publishing the reminiscences of Bernard J. Finestone, a Past President of the hospital, about the opening ceremony in 1934.
From the archives: The Auxiliary is created in 1936
When the JGH opened in 1934, it had two crucial, ongoing needs: a steady source of funding to purchase medical equipment and supplies, and a pool of dedicated volunteers. Both were delivered by the JGH Auxiliary.
From the archives: A time to celebrate
Many Jewish festivals are observed in the hospital over the course of the year, including Rosh Hashanah (New Year), Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), Chanukah and Passover.
JGH named among world’s top 100 hospitals
In a survey for Newsweek magazine, the Jewish General Hospital has been ranked among the top 100 hospitals in the world, also placing first in Quebec and fourth among Canadian hospitals.
From the archives: Ground is broken to start construction of the JGH
One of the most stirring milestones in the history of the JGH was the day when ground was finally broken, on August 3, 1931, to start construction of the hospital.