JGH marks milestone 80th anniversary: Tree-planting symbolizes JGH’s deep roots and its sheltering branches
In recognition of the commitment and ideals that the founders of the JGH embraced when the hospital opened in 1934, an oak tree now graces the Côte-des-Neiges entrance, marking the JGH’s 80th anniversary. Planted on July 16, the oak is a symbol of hope and optimism, representing the hospital’s deep roots in Montreal, as well as reaffirming its dedication to the needs of patients for decades to come.
“The act of planting this tree represents our commitment to taking a living thing into our care, nurturing and strengthening it,” Dr. Lawrence Rosenberg, JGH Executive Director, told visiting dignitaries, members of staff and volunteers who gathered near the flower beds at the Côte-des-Neiges entrance.
“This is precisely how the JGH has envisioned its medical and personal relationship with its patients since it opened its doors in 1934,” Dr. Rosenberg said. “Like this tree, the JGH will be here both in mild conditions and in stormy weather, so that we can continue to protect those who seek shelter beneath our branches.”
Outgoing JGH President Rick Dubrovsky noted that the hospital’s dedication to patients is evident in its unceasing efforts “to upgrade safety and the quality of care, while striving to provide an exceptional patient experience. We have made—and continue to make—these improvements in order to meet the constantly evolving needs of our patients. The strength of this hospital is a direct result of our best efforts to earn their trust and ensure their well-being.”
Also on hand to deliver birthday greetings were David Birnbaum, Member of the National Assembly for D’Arcy McGee; Lionel Perez, Councillor in the borough of Côte-des-Neiges/NDG; and a representative of Pierre Arcand, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, and MNA for Mont-Royal, the riding where the JGH is located.
A plaque at the foot of the tree includes the following statement from Lord Bessborough, the Governor-General of Canada, at the hospital’s inauguration on October 8, 1934: “May this be the beginning of a long and fruitful chapter in the history of that never‑ending struggle, which men of all races and all creeds are called upon to wage against sickness and suffering throughout the world.”