On Oct. 5, 1970, in a crisis that made international headlines, British Trade Commissioner James Cross was abducted at gunpoint by the Front de libération du Québec. Released on Dec. 3, Mr. Cross was treated at the JGH.
In 1981, Hope & Cope was launched under the auspices of the JGH Auxiliary to use specially trained volunteers (many of whom were cancer survivors) to support and counsel cancer patients and their families.
The Jewish General Hospital opened on Oct. 8, 1934, with a grand ceremony that was widely covered by the French and English press.
In 1999, the JGH became the first hospital in Quebec to open a specially designed and equipped operating room to be used specifically for minimally invasive surgery.
The main lobby is often the first point of contact for patients and visitors who come to the JGH. As the hospital has evolved, so has the lobby, whose information kiosks and retail outlets have been modified to keep pace with changing needs and tastes
In 1952, JGH medical personnel gathered in the Nurses’ Lecture Hall in Pavilion A for a demonstration of a multi-channel electronic stethoscope, a new device that significantly amplified sound and minimized background noise.
Once the campaign to build the JGH kicked off in 1929, members of the Jewish community flocked to support the project.
In 2009, the value of a surgical checklist was confirmed in research by the World Health Organization. In response, the JGH joined the growing ranks of leading hospitals around the world in 2010 by making systematic safety checks mandatory in all types of surgery.
Drop into one of the older administrative offices in Pavilion A, and you’ll find it outfitted with a desk, computer, bookshelves—and a sink.
Approximately 3,011 people streamed through the streets of Montreal in August 2005 in the first Weekend to End Breast Cancer, giving a major boost to the treatment and prevention of breast cancer at the Segal Cancer Centre.